Son of BNP leader Moudud Ahmed dies

‘Family blames wrong treatment’

Aman Momtaz Moudud, only son of BNP standing committee member Moudud Ahmed, died early yesterday.

Aman, 36, a British national, had been suffering from fever since Wednesday and was admitted to the city’s United Hospital on September 8, where he was diagnosed with dengue, Moudud’s personal secretary Mominur Rahman Sujon told The Daily Star.

Aman was airlifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital from United Hospital around 12:20am Tuesday. Moudud and his wife Hasna Moudud also flew with their son, he added.

But he breathed his last on the lap of his parents around 4:30am, minutes after landing in Singapore, he said, quoting Moudud Ahmed.

Aman’s body has been kept in the mortuary of the Singapore hospital and is likely to be flown to Dhaka after completing necessary formalities at the hospital, Sujon said.

Sujon said Aman’s condition started deteriorating on September 13. The United Hospital authorities formed a medical board the same day.

“Aman was given a high power antibiotic and then put on life support,” Sujon added.

On Monday, Aman’s parent took measures to treat him at the Singapore hospital and the air ambulance reached Dhaka in the evening.

Quoting Moudud, Sujon said the United Hospital authorities dilly-dallied in releasing Aman, which caused further delay in taking him to the Singapore hospital.

Sujon also said Aman’s parents were displeased with the “negligence and wrong treatment” of United Hospital in treating their son.

Aman Moudud will be buried beside his maternal grandfather Poet Jasimuddin’s grave in Faridpur as per his wish.

He left behind his parents, one sister and a host of relatives, friends and well-wishers to mourn his death. The couple had earlier lost their first son — Asif Momtaz Moudud — when he was three.

BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in a statement expressed deep shock over the demise of Aman Moudud.


In an email to The Daily Star, Mustafizur Rahman, PR Communications Officer, Marketing Department, United Hospital Ltd, said Aman was admitted to the hospital on September 9 with fever for two days.

“After his blood test, it was found that he was suffering from dengue fever and was being treated accordingly under the supervision of Dr Afsana Begum of medicine department.

“Under this circumstance, the patient was handed over to the air ambulance team that came from Singapore upon the will and under the management of his family. The patient’s family also signed the Discharge on Request Bond paper of the hospital.”

The statement also said the hospital authority was unable to provide any information regarding his treatment without the consent of the family members of the deceased.

Source: The Daily Star


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here