Biswajit killing case goes to speedy trial tribunal

Biswajit.jpeg

The sensational Biswajit killing case has been shifted to the Speedy Trial Tribunal for its quick disposal, a prosecution lawyer said on Sunday.

“The case has been transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 of Dhaka and we’ve received a gazette notification in this regard,” public prosecutor SM Rafiqul Islam told UNB, adding that the deposition of witnesses in the case will begin on July 14.

He, however, said there is no judge in the tribunal-4 as its judge Motahar Hossain was transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal-3 on June 27.

On June 18, the Home Ministry issued a gazette notification shifting the case to the speedy trial tribunal from the Metropolitan Session’s Judge Court.

The court on June 2 framed charges against 21 Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) activists of the Jagannath University unit in connection with the sensational killing of Biswajit Das, 22, a tailor, in the capital during an opposition road blockade programme on December 9 last year.

The case was shifted to the session’s judge court on April 29 after Metropolitan Magistrate Court took cognisance of charges against them on April 2.

Inspector Mohammad Tajul Islam of Detective Branch (DB) Police submitted the charge sheet before the court on March 5 in connection with the killing.

Sixty people were named as witnesses in the charge sheet. Thirteen accused in the case are still on the run.

Source: UNBConnect

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here