Parag abduction mastermind Ameer held after ‘shootout’

Ameer Hossain, the ringleader of Parag Mondol abduction case, sustained severe injuries during a ‘shootout’ with DB police and was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital Saturday morning.

In the wee hours of Saturday, DB police claimed that Ameer was killed in a ‘shootout’ with them in the capital’s Tongi area.

Armed criminals abducted six-year-old Parag, shooting his mother, sister and their driver near their house in Shubhadda Paschimpara in Keraniganj while they were about to board their car for going to school on November 11 morning.

The class-I student was freed after three days after reportedly on payment of a ransom of Tk 50 lakh.

Police and Parag’s family however denied paying the ransom.

Quoting Rajbari police media earlier reported that Ameer was arrested at Manikganj district on Tuesday night.

It all started around 3:45am Saturday when a team of Detective Branch (DB) of police led by Sanwar Hossain, senior assistant commissioner of DB, raided a house in Satashgram area of Tongi in Gazipur and an incident of ‘shootout’ occurred between them and Ameer, said Saidur Rahman, an inspector of DB police.

The DB had information that Ameer was hiding at the house and they repeatedly knocked at its door, Saidur said.

As nobody opened the door, they tried to break open the door, the inspector said. But Ameer opened fires on the law enforcers, forcing them to retaliate, he added.

Later, police recovered bullet-riddled Ameer lying on a pool of blood in the room and considering him dead as two bullets hit at his chest and head, they sent the body to Tongi Upazila Health Complex.

At one stage, Ameer who remained motionless for nearly three hours regained conscious around 7:00am and started to groan at the health complex, a Tongi police official said.

They rushed him to DMCH. Ameer is now undergoing treatment there, the police official said.

Detectives also arrested Ameer’s wife Beauty and their two-and-a-half-year old boy at the room. They surprisingly remain unhurt and now under Tongi police custody.

Police also recovered two pistols and 85 bullets from the spot.

Source: The Daily Star