ICT seeks Interpol red notice against ex-army chief Aziz

The chief prosecutor’s office of the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has asked Bangladesh’s National Central Bureau (NCB) to take steps to secure an Interpol red notice against former army chief and former Border Guard Bangladesh director general Gen (retd) Aziz Ahmed.

The move relates to a crimes against humanity case over the crackdown on Hefazat-e-Islam activists at Motijheel’s Shapla Chattar and in Narayanganj on May 5-6, 2013.

The office sent a letter, signed by Chief Prosecutor Md Aminul Islam, to the inspector general of police and the additional IGP heading the NCB at Police Headquarters, seeking necessary action under Interpol regulations.

Confirming the development to journalists today, Aminul said his office had established that Aziz was living abroad.

“We sent a letter to the NCB yesterday seeking Interpol’s assistance in bringing the accused back to Bangladesh,” he said.

Last month, ICT-2 accepted formal charges of genocide and crimes against humanity against former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, two journalists and 38 others in connection with the 2013 crackdown.

The tribunal subsequently issued arrest warrants against 30 absconding accused, including Aziz.

The chief prosecutor said his office had earlier taken steps to seek an Interpol red notice against former inspector general of police Benazir Ahmed, who is also an accused in the case.

Source: https://www.thedailystar.net/news/crime-justice/news/ict-seeks-interpol-red-notice-against-ex-army-chief-aziz-4250606

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here