The police have been ordered to launch a counter offensive against those who attack them.
The order comes after a policeman sustained bullet injuries in Satkania on Wednesday during Jamaat-e-Islami’s countrywide shutdown, called in protest against the death sentence of its leader Abdul Quader Molla for war crimes.
Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir on Thursday visited the post where strikers had torched a police vehicle at Chittagong’s Enayet Bazar.
“From now on, the police will counterattack,” he said cautioning that those responsible for the attacks would not be spared.
On Wednesday, suspected Islami Chhatra Shibir activists shot a police constable and torched a police vehicle in the port city.
Alamgir termed those involved in such violence as the ‘enemy of the society and the people’.
He said orders had been given to take actions against the Satkania attackers. “Those who were involved in the attack, those who had instigated it and funded it will not be spared,” said the minister.
Police have detained nine persons over the attacks. A case has been filed against 36 persons for attacking the police and obstructions them from carrying out their duties.
Satkania police OC Abdul Latif told bdnews24.com that a case had been lodged on Wednesday night over the attacks.
“All of the nine detainees are activists of Jamaat and Shibir,” he said.
The Jamaat called a 48-hour shutdown hours after Molla was handed down a death sentence in a final verdict by the Supreme Court.
Police Constable Iqbal was shot on the first day of the strike at Satkania’s Fultala Bazar.
Minutes after the top court’s verdict, Jamaat activists had gone berserk in the port city. They torched a police vehicle and a private car.
Police have filed a case against 28 persons including former MP Shahjahan Chowdhury over the incident.
Source: Bd news24