Journos 24-hr work abstention Mar 11

Sagar, RuniJournalists across the country will observe a 24-hour work abstention on March 11 to realise their three-point demand including immediate trial of the killers of journalists including Sagar-Runi.

Staring from 6:00am on March 11, the work abstention will continue till 6:00am on March 12, Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury, president of Federal Union of Journalist (BFUJ), said on Monday afternoon.

He was addressing a rally in front of the National Press Club in the capital on the occasion of the first death anniversary of Sagar Sarwar and Meherun Runi.

The journalists will also hold a rally in front of the press club at 11:00am on March 11.

The other demands are freedom of media and ensure security for the journalists.

Though one year has elapsed since Sagar, a news editor of Maasranga TV, and his wife Runi, a senior reporter of ATN Bangla, were brutally killed at their apartment in the capital on February 11, 2012, law enforcers are still in the dark about the motive of the murders.

Addressing the rally, the journalist leader said, the newsmen who wanted to stay at their respective media houses on the very day will also observe a pen-down strike.

Iqbal Sobhan also extended his support to the youths protesting for the death penalty of all war criminals at Shahbagh.

He also urged the demonstrating youths not to make any comment about any media house during their protest.

Earlier in the morning, journalists started a grand rally on press club premises with a demand to arrest the killers of journalist couple Sagar-Runi.

Over 500 newsmen from different media houses thronged in front of the press club to join the scheduled rally that began around noon and continued till 2:45pm.

Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists, Dhaka Union of Journalists, Dhaka Reporters’ Unity and Jatiya Press Club have jointly organised the programme.

Earlier on Saturday, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) arrested Enam Ahmed alias Humayun Kabir, the fugitive security guard of Sagar-Runi building and a ‘prime’ suspect in the murder case, from Brahmanbaria Railway Station.

The elite force was given the charge of investigating the case on April 18, 2012, after it vented frustration over the Detective Branch’s failure in identifying the killers.

In October last, Home Minister Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir announced a bounty of Tk 10 lakh on Enam.

He had also claimed to have identified seven suspects including Enam.

The other six accused are: Rafiqul Islam, Bakul Miah, Masum Mintu, Sayeed, another security guard of the couple’s residence Palash Rudra Paul, and the couple’s “family friend” Tanvir.

Of the suspects, the first four are now in jail in connection with the murder of physician Nitai, while Palash and Tanvir are in Rab custody.

Source: The Daily Star

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here