Govt high-ups to decide on Malaysian proposal on Padma Bridge: Obaidul

padma bridge-1364136715

Communications Minister Obaidul Quader on Sunday said only the government high-ups will decide whether the Malaysian proposal to build the Padma Bridge would be granted or not.

The minister said this while talking to reporters after a meeting on the progress of the implementation of Annual Development Programme (ADP) allocated against the Communications Ministry.

He said the summary of the Malaysian proposal on the Padma Bridge has already been sent to the high officials concerned.

Replying to a question as to whether work on the Padma Bridge will start under the current regime, Obaidul Quader said, “It depends only on the government and the Finance Minister. However, there is an instruction to start the work on the Padma Bridge with own fund and the Prime Minister has also announced this.”

He also said the construction work on the much-hyped bridge has already begun.

“A Tk 1,400 crore river training work at Jazira and Mawa points has almost completed with our own fund while Tk 1,200 crore work on the approach road at Jazira point will begin in May,” he said adding that work on approach road at Mawa will begin soon.

The minister said the ministry has spent 44 percent of the ADB so far.

He said repair works on the Meghna, Meghna-Gomti Bridges involving TK 436 crore have already been completed, hoping to inaugurate the bridges anew by April 10.

Obaidul Quader also works on the 2nd Meghna, 2nd Meghna-Gomti and 2nd Kanchpur Bridges involving TK 9,000 crore will start during the term of the present government.

Source: UNBConnect

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here