Abrar was not Buet Chhatra League’s first victim
First and second year students of the hall alleged that they were tortured by immediate seniors in the last four months
Bangladesh Chhatra League formed its unit at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) with Kandokar Jami-Us-Sany and Mehedi Hasan Rasel as its president and general secretary, respectively, on April 26, 2018.
A press release signed by then Chhatra League president Saifur Rahman Sohag and general secretary SM Zakir Hossain, issued that day, said that the committee would remain effective for one year.
But, on May 23 this year, Sany and Rasel announced the full-fledged committee, a month after their committee was supposed to become invalid, in violation of the organization’s constitution.
Most of those who were inducted in the committee were their followers, especially Rasel’s supporters.
A number of students residing at Buet’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall said that Sany and Rasel usually led the torture on the junior students.
First and second year students of the hall alleged that they were tortured by immediate seniors in the last four months.
They said the Chhatra League leaders also used at least three rooms — 2010, 2011 and 2012 — of the hall as their torture cells.
The accused used to beat their targets in these rooms, accusing them of being linked to Islami Chhatra Shibir.
However, Dhaka Tribune could not confirm the number of students who were victimized by the Buet Chhatra League leaders in the name of containing Shibir on campus.
Fourth year student Ehtasamul Azim, who defended such a victim named Daiyan Nafi¬s Prodhan a few months ago, was himself forced out of the hall several days ago after he was beaten by some Chhatra League men a week earlier.
The accused in Abrar murder case
– Mehedi Hasan Rasel, from Faridpur district, general secretary of Buet unit Chhata League. Former general secretary of Sher-e-Bangla hall. Pursuing MSC in Civil Engineering.
– Muhtasim Fuad, joint secretary of Buet Chhatra League, also former vice president of Sher-e-Bangla hall Chhatra League unit. Fourth year student of Civil Engineering.
– Anick Sarker, information and research affairs secretary of Buet Chhatra League, also a fourth year student of mechanical engineering.
– Amit Shaha, deputy law affairs secretary of Buet Chhatra League. A third year student of civil engineering (Not detained).
– Mujtaba Rafid, deputy office secretary of Buet Chhatra League and student of Chemical Engineering.
– Ifti Mosharraf Sakal, deputy social service secretary of Buet unit Chhatra League and student of biomedical engineering.
– Meftahul Islam Zion, sports secretary of Buet Chhatra league and student of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
– Mehedi Hasan Robin, organizing secretary of Buet Chhatra League. Studies chemical engineering.
– Ishtiak Hasan Munna, publication secretary of Buet Chhatra League. A student of the mechanical engineering department.