HC verdict on Narayanganj seven-murder deferred to Aug 22

The High Court Division on Sunday deferred to August 22 the pronouncement of the scheduled verdict of the sensational seven murders that took place in the river port city of Narayanganj in 2014.

The bench of Justice Bhabani Prasad Singha and Justice Mustafa Zaman Islam rescheduled the pronouncement around 10:35am.

The High Court Division was due to deliver today its verdict on the death reference of 26 convicts in the seven murders.

It was also scheduled to give verdicts in appeals filed by 21 recipients of death sentence in the sensational case of murders that shook the nation.

The 26 convicts include local Awami League leader Noor Hossain, the then Rapid Action Battalion commanding officer in Narayanganj Lieutenant Colonel Tarek Sayeed Mohammad and RAB officers Major Arif Hossain and Lieutenant Commander Masud Rana.

On July 26, completion of hearing spread over 33 working days, the same bench announced the schedule for giving the verdict.

On January 16, a trial court in Narayanganj handed death sentence to 26 offenders, including 16 RAB members, and various jail terms to nine other RAB men, finding them guilty of murdering local AL leader and Narayanganj City Corporation ward councilor Nazrul Islam, lawyer Chandan Kumar Sarkar and five others.

The trial court also found them guilty of hatching the conspiracy to abduct, murder and dumping the bodies of the seven victims in the River Sitalakkhya to destroy the evidence of their crimes.

According to the trial court verdict, Nazrul and his four associates were abducted by two RAB teams, one led by Major Arif and the other by commander Rana from near Narayanganj court premises around 1:40pm on April 27, 2014.

Later, the RAB men abducted Chandan Kumar Sarkar and his driver as he had protested against what he thought the arrest of Nazrul and his associates.

All the seven persons were taken to RAB office in Narsingdi and were brought to the Kanchpur Bridge at night after they had been murdered.

The murders took place on the way inside microbuses by making the victims senseless by injecting anesthesia and later they were strangled using poly bags.

Victims’ bodies were carried by several trawlers and dumped in the River Meghna where it meets Sitalakhya.

The bodies were found afloat in the River Sitalakhya after couple of days.

Source: New Age

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *